From:
"K. W. Salisbury" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 10:13:12 -0800
>>>Does F/F as the norm = sick baby as the norm?

Is this infinitely sad, or what?

Pam Chaplin-Loebell, Ed.M., volunteer breastfeeding counselor
Supporting breastfeeding moms: one at a time in Philadelphia, PA,
USA.<<<<

Pam, I have wondered the same thing.  I think our formula-feeding culture
definitely has come to expect repeated infant illnesses as the norm.  In
addition, I've had many moms say to me (or within earshot of me) that
they refuse to believe that formula increases the risk of ear infections
and/or other illnesses.

I'm hearing similar things about preemie illnesses too.  I believe I am
the only preemie mom on one particular preemie internet message board who
is still breastfeeding.  I'm astounded at how few preemies receive
breastmilk after leaving the NICU.  My 31.5 weeker never has had anything
but breastmilk.  I have two school-age older children who seem to bring
home a new virus every 10 days and Evan (now 5 mos) has only had one very
mild cold and one mild stomach upset since birth.  Many people are just
amazed to hear that...except my wonderful breastfeeding-friendly
pediatrician who has an IBCLC in his clinic....they assume Evan will be
healthy!  Love my ped and his nurses.

Yes, it's sad.

Kathleen Salisbury  ([log in to unmask])
LLL of Gig Harbor (WA, USA)
Mom to James (2-25-95), Reed (6-9-97) and Evan (6-18-01)