From:
Laura Spitzfaden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2012 11:59:18 -0500
I have searched the archives and I haven't found the information I was looking for.

When I was taking my lactation course through Wichita State University, we looked at a galactagogue study review by Anderson and Valdez that was published in Breastfeeding Medicine.  In it there was mention of a recent case controlled study that found a 3.8 fold risk of sudden cardiac death in patients taking domperidone.  It also mentioned that grapefruit, ketoconazole, and erthromycin are contraindicated when taking domperidone because they increase systemic exposure.  There also were not any really good studies that show it works though I see a lot of clinical evidence that it does.

I haven't seen anything about this on LACTNET outside of studies mentioned that showed these problems with intravenous domperidone.

I see that many of the LCs on this board recommend domperidone.  I am wondering what people tell their clients about these concerns?  I know that the galactagogue protocol was updated at Breastfeeding Medicine due in part to this study.

Laura Spitzfaden LLLL, IBCLC