From:
Rhoda Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:59:41 -0800
I know it is weeks after World Breastfeeding Week for some of us and months
for those of you who celebrate in the summer but I wanted to share a little
success story. In addition to the Quintessence Challenge we ran a local
photo contest and could not believe the response. You can get an idea of
what we were sent by looking at www.volunteercowichan.bc.ca and at
http://www.croftworks.com/cgi-bin/photogallery.cgi?category_id=5

We got great newspaper coverage from one local paper and had over 60 photos
entered. This from a small community! (600 births a year over a large
area)To our surprise and pleasure this really engaged the fathers and other
family members. People were SO proud of their partners/daughters/friends.
Some of the photos were over 24 years old. At the awards ceremony a ten
year old boy proudly pointed out one of winners was of him breastfeeding.
  The photos were displayed in a local coffee shop. This was great for
exposure but not good for the pictures as the moisture was too high and
they kept falling off the mounts.  We expect to hold the contest again next
year but will hold the display at a local art gallery.
The money raised from the calendars will be managed by a new non profit
group Cowichan Breastfeeds.  We hope to build up enough money to buy a
freezer and establish a milk depot so any mother who wishes her child to
receive the best can access donor milk. In the meantime we will subsidize
the shipping of milk to the Vancouver Milk Bank and possibly buy a couple
of pumps for loan to low income families where the mother is being forced
back to work early or...
The photos were so good we couldn't let them just go so we scanned them all
and put together a collage for our health unit display. Some of the photos
were blown up, framed and are displayed on the maternity ward. In addition
a few were put into a calendar.
We would love to know what others did that worked so we can expand on this
for next year.

Rhoda