From:
Becky Krumwiede <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 08:17:56 -0500
Dianne asks:
"Is it irresponsible to think that a weight gain of 4 oz./week in the first
5 weeks of life is acceptable and not indicative of formula supplementation
if baby is pooping/peeing well, good skin tone, growing in length, active
and generally content?"

I don't think it's indicative of formula supplementation, but it would clearly signal to me the need for a good look at what's going on.  This is not a normal weight gain for a newborn.  And 4 oz./week from where?  Birth weight or lowest weight after birth?  The second scenario would be frightening to me.  What is the birth weight and current weight that you're talking about on this baby?

Becky Krumwiede, RN, IBCLC
Appleton, Wisconsin