From:
Sulman Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 21:55:03 -0900
How do those of you more experienced with brand new babies handle the
situation when an infant gapes widely, latches on, comes off, shakes
his/her head back and forth as if searching for the nipple, latches well
again, soon comes off, and repeats this over and over?  I have seen this
behavior in a number of new babies.  I try to reassure mothers that it is
temporary, that breastfeeding takes some time to learn, to be patient.  Day
by day it will improve.  But it certainly is frustrating for new mothers
who are panicky that they and baby will never get it right.  Latest case is
a mother of twins, first babies, born December 19 at 34 weeks, now at home
at 2 1/2 weeks old.  One twin nurses pretty well, other one has a stronger
suck but does this on and off searching-for-latch behavior at most
feedings.  Once he finally gets on, he does well.  Both babies are gaining
well and over birth weight on breast milk alone.  They are getting some
bottles of expressed breast milk from father at night, so "nipple
confusion" may be one component here.  I've seen this in new babies who
have not had bottles, also, including my own in the early weeks.  The
hospital LC suggested the mother use a nipple shield, but the mother says
she is reluctant because she fears the baby will get dependent on it.  She
is interested to hear what all of you say about this newborn latching
behavior and how best to deal with it.

Anne Altshuler, RN, MS, IBCLC and LLL leader in Madison, Wisconsin
mailto:[log in to unmask]