From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 1995 20:08:31 -0400
Hi. My slow gaining 5 lb baby is gaining weight, on breastmilk and formula
given by bottle. Mother has decided that baby is too smart to use the SNS
(he used it fine here with me)..and that he prefers the bottle. I think she
is happy that he is getting some breastmilk, and if she is happy, who am I
to be unhappy? : /  The mother didn't want to pump at night , and she went
all night, and got up in the morning and pumped only 3 oz. Her supply might
respond to the inc pumping but I don't know. Do older mothers (she is 42)
have inc tendency to have slow or low supplies?

The other  couple I have been helping, with the mother who has huge breasts,
and a c sec that has burst open..needs packing, etc...is using a shield,
twice a day,.. to try for latch. Not much luck.

These two babies obviously have developed flow preference big time. Does
anyone else notice that some babies develop this real flow preference? How
to train them to accept the breast happily?

The older mother insisted that the baby was too smart for the SNS, pulled
the tubes out, etc. baby is 2 weeks old.  THis is a mother who in the past
has exercised extgensively and who works typical 80 hour weeks.

Is there a connection between low body fat and low production?

Kathleen

Kathleen B. Bruce RN, BSN, IBCLC
Williston, Vermont USA
To err is human, to really screw up you need a computer..