Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 09:08:12 EST
Kathy, It sounds to me like you are dealing with a yeast problem.  Any mother
in this much pain who is using the word "burning" and for whom pumping with a
good electric breastpump is uncomfortable, screams out the word "yeast" to
me.  In fact, of the 3000+ women I have rented pumps to through the years,
unless they were using the pump incorrectly, only those with yeast problems
ever found pumping to be uncomfortable.  Because of this, I now look at this
descriptor somewhat as a "diagnostic tool."  While it would be normal in the
early postpartum period to assume that pain would be related to
latch-on/positioning, it is certainly not always the case.  You will find an
abundance of information concerning nipple yeast both in the archives of
Lactnet and on the Internet itself.
Cher Sealy, RN, BSN, IBCLC
The Breastfeeding Encounter
Montgomery, AL