From:
Genevieve Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 1995 12:00:21 +0000
re : anorexia
from : Genevieve Becker, Ireland
A dietitian colleague asked me recently if I had ever come across the
situation of a mother breastfeeding and pumping in order to use up
calories. The mother in question has some anorexic behaviours and would be underweight but not starkly anorexic. Baby is fine and thriving as are other children
Mother exclusively breastfeeding six month old and is pumping 4 times perday. Freezer is full of milk as mother is rarely away from infant. Mother is
disinclined to start solids. Other children were started on solids arounf 5 months. Dietitian thinks this mother may be using breastfeeding to use up
calories. Any one come across this? There is no question of weaning, though
I did suggest the mother discuss the need for all the pumping. Dietitian
is just interested as well as wanting to keep an eye on the mother. Mother
has had psych treatment in past for anorexia but not recently.