From:
Laura Block <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2008 14:12:17 -0400
There is no data yet in Lactmed on Levocetirizine, Levocetirizine is an isomer of Cetirizine, which is known as Zyrtec here in the US. Because of possible sedation with Cetirizine, it is not the first choice antihistamine for breastfeeding. Lactmed states that Loratadine (Claritin) or Fexofenadine (Allegra) are considered to be safe for the baby, but may adversely affect milk supply if used regularly.

From Lactmed:
Summary of Use during Lactation:
Small occasional doses of cetirizine would not be expected to cause any adverse effects in breastfed infants. Larger doses or more prolonged use may cause drowsiness and other effects in the infant or decrease the milk supply, particularly in combination with a sympathomimetic or before lactation is well established. Single bedtime doses after the last feeding of the day may be adequate for many women and will minimize any effects of the drug. The nonsedating antihistamines are preferred alternatives.

HTH,
Laura Block, PharmD, CLC