From:
Leah Motta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 18:57:29 -0600
My name is Leah, and I am a nursing student at the University of North Dakota.  I am interested in the topic of breastfeeding and intelligence.  Through researching this topic, I’ve found that some studies show that breastfeeding results in higher intelligence scores, and others show that breastfeeding does not result in higher intelligence. Because of the discrepancy in the results of these studies, I’m not convinced that breastfeeding is directly associated with intelligence.  An article written by Jain, Concato & Leventhal (2002) reviewed many studies that have tried to determine whether breastfeeding has a beneficial effect on intellect.  Of the 2 highest quality studies reviewed, one concluded that the effect of breastfeeding on intellect is significant, the other did not.  Of the other 7 studies reviewed, 3 concluded that breastfeeding promotes cognitive development and 4 did not.  The article concludes that there is no convincing evidence that exists about the effects
of breastfeeding on intelligence (Jain, Concato & Leventhal, 2002).
According to the findings of Gale & Martyn (1996), after adjusting for the effects of other variables such as use of a pacifier, number of older siblings, father’s occupational class, and mother’s age at the participant’s birth, no association was found between adult intelligence and method of feeding.  Mortensen et al (2002) observed a positive association between the duration of breastfeeding and intelligence.  I think that breastfeeding does more than just feed an infant.  It contributes to a nurturing environment.  In this sense, I think that breastfeeding is associated with the intelligence of a child because of the nurturing it provides.  We know that breast milk does have fatty acids, hormones, and nutrients that are needed for brain development in infants; formulas do not contain some of these substances.  According to Jain, Concato & Leventhal (2002), factors besides breast milk that contribute to intelligence are genetics, stimulation of the child, and socioeconomi
c status of the family.  I’m of the opinion that nurturing the child and providing a loving environment contributes more to intelligence than does breastfeeding alone.  Breastfeeding is a natural way to nurture a child, but is breast milk needed for intelligence?  Do parents need to feel like they need to breastfeed to make their child intelligent? It seems that there are so many factors to consider when looking at intelligence that it would be difficult, even with controlled studies to specifically look at the effects of breastfeeding alone without having the effects of the other factors influencing the outcome of that child’s intelligence.  I’m interested to hear what you would have to say regarding this issue.

Reference List

Gale, C.R. & Martyn, C.N.  (1996),  Breastfeeding, dummy use, and adult intelligence.
        The Lancet, 347, 1072-1076.
Jain A., Concato J.M., Leventhal J.M.  (2002).  How good is the evidence linking breastfeeding
        and intelligence?.  Pediatrics, 109, 1044-1055.
Mortensen E.L., Michaelsen K.F., Sauders S.A & Reinisch J.M.  (2002).  The association
        between and adult intelligence.  JAMA, 287, 2365-2372.