From:
Roxanne Gollata <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 18:15:34 -0400
Hello,
I work on an OB unit as a Mom/Baby nurse and in the Lactation Department
with three IBCLC's.  I plan on sitting for the exam next July (still
working on my hours).  We do quite a bit of follow-up at our biweekly Mom &
Me group, as we do not have enough Lactation hours to get all the mom's in
that need a consult.  Our manager is now changing Mom & Me "to service ALL
mom's-Mom & Me is too breastfeeding focused."  They are going to have
a "Post-partum" class in place of one of our M/M days, and change the other
day to a "Breastfeeding Support" class.  At the same time, they  are
reluctant to increase lactation hours so we could still do the level of
follow-up we do now.  I approached one of the Ped's groups and asked if
they would be willing to have a few of us help with lactation in their
office and they seem interested.  Are there any differences in getting
reimbursed in a Ped's office vs. hospital?  For those of you who do work in
a Ped's office, how many hours are you allowed?  Any suggestions?  Any
ideas for name's for our new class (instead of Breastfeeding Support class)?
Thanks,
Roxanne Gollata, RN, LC Intern