From:
Linda Madsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 2003 10:40:06 -0800
Fluzone, the intramuscular injection for influenza
vaccination is not contraindicated for breastfeeding
mothers.  It contains an inactivated form of the
influenza strains so that it may not be transmitted to
susceptible individuals.  It is impossible to come
down with the 'flu by receiving the injection.  Full
protection does not for about 2 weeks after receiving
the shot so that if one has been exposed before or
during that period, one can come down with the illness
in that period of time.  (Important for those of us in
Texas and other parts of the US that have already had
the flu show up.)  FYI:  In the areas of the USA where
flu has shown up, the strain that has been cultured
out is one that is contained in this year's vaccine.
Here is the link with the information on Fluzone:

www.us.aventispasteur.com/PRODUCT/PDFFILES/FluzoneSV.pdf

Flumist is the new inhaled vaccination for influenza.
There are more contraindications for this vaccination
as it contains weakened live viruses.

The link for Flumist information:

http://www.wyeth.com/content/getfile.asp?id=460

Once you reach that link, it separates into 2
different links.  One is for information on useage of
Flumist in the US & the other contains information on
Wyeth world-wide, but I did not find specific
information there about Flumist.

In my own reading of the PDF file on Flumist for the
US, I did not find a blanket contraindication
concerning breastfeeding mothers, but it stated for
mothers to inform their healthcare provider if they
are nursing.  It is contraindicated for all pregnant
mothers.

I hope this helps provide some additional information
for everyone.

Sincerely,
Linda Madsen, RN, CPN, IBCLC (newly re-certified by
exam! ;) )
Plano, TX

P.S.  I don't suggest moving cross-country after
taking the exam as it took me over a week of frantic
searching to locate the letter with my "special
identifying code" which I had placed in a secure
location so as not to lose it.  LOL