From:
julie taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2006 19:06:45 -0700
This has caused a great deal of interest amongst fellow nurses and medical staff! Has she had any recent piercings that have been removed? Has Dad had any oral infections??? I would be very interested to know the outcome.
  Julie Taylor RN

Kathy Lloyd <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Well, fellow lactneters I need some help. I saw a Mom today for her prenatal
lactation appointment. She is due August 17th or so and has had an
uncomplicated pregnancy. Upon taking her history in regard to breast growth
during pregnancy, she said she went up two cup sizes in her bra, denied
having any surgeries on her breast, and said she had no problems with flat
or inverted nipples. She then said her one nipple "looked funny" on her one
breast. I then examined her breasts. The nipple and areola on her right
breast were of normal size and color, however the nipple on her left breast
was green in color. The areola was pink. She denied any discharge from the
nipple and said it had been that way for a month or so. She showed it to her
OB doctor and she said "It was probably normal" !! The only way I can
describe it is that it looks like moss that grows on a rock. It is just on
the face of the nipple which also had what appeared to be a milk blister. I
felt no mass or swollen area in the breast and mom denied any pain. I have
seen yellowish-orange crusted area on the breast from leaking colostrums,
but never green crusted areas. I did ask three different OB doctors about
this and they never seen or heard of this either. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks, Kathy Lloyd LPN/IBCLC