From:
Lynnette Stiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 1998 15:07:58 -0600
 I am a SMALL Hospital based OB Nurse/IBCLC and have to find CHEAP methods
in most all areas.......Here's my method of everting flat nipples.
Take a 20cc syringe...Pull it apart.
Using scissors, cut off the tip end of the syringe barrel. (The plastic
often shatters and is sharp...not to worry)
Place the plunger back into the barrel from the cut end.(This protects the
mother from and sharp edges) The end placed against the mom is smooth and
has a wide collar.
Explain to the Mom that you are going to GENTLY evert the nipple so the baby
can feel it and perhaps latch better.
Before attatching the syringe pull the plunger back about one inch to
prevent pinching the nipple.
Place the syginge (caredully centered) over the nipple.GENTLY pull back and
releasing several times. Encourage the mom to tell you immediately if it is
uncomfortable.  I find frequently that a few drops of colostrum will be
expressed and mom is SO PLEASED! I use the drops to tempt the baby and
quickly assist him/her to try to latch to the everted nipple.
A M--d-la hand pump also works to help evert and express small amounts of
colostrum.
I hope this makes sense!  I have had my husband use his band saw to cut off
syringes for me....10-15 at a time. The plastic cuts smoothly with the saw.
Good luck!
Lynne Stiles, RNC, IBCLC Huntsville, Arkansas