From:
Vaishali Kute <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:23:08 -0500
Dear All,
Don't have any studies to quote but how can we forget the huge maternal and
fetal mortality before the advent of c-sections and modern medicine. Just
because something is 'natural', doesn't make it necessarily safe. A lot of
illnesses are 'natural'. Birth is a natural process that can sometimes
cause a lot of damage. It is easy for one to let their personal experience
colour their professional judgement. I have myself had 3 NSVDs but I
consider my self very lucky. I see women whose perineums have been torn up
because the doctor or midwife insisted on a 'natural' birth and it just
boils my blood! Surgical scars in a clean area heal much faster than a
jagged tear on the perineum that goes through your vagina and your rectum.
We as lactation consultants cannot be so dogmatic if we truly want to help
women breastfeed. Every woman's situation is different.
Nancy, sorry about the OT post. No excuse for it. Hope I don't get banned
from the forum for it.

Vaishali Kute, MD FAAP

Pediatrician in Atlanta