From:
Wendy Blumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 2017 10:00:54 +0200
As a breastfeeding counsellor I follow up with the same clients who attend my prenatal courses (as well as those who just call up and ask for counselling).  And what a difference there is between the motivation and awareness and knowledge of those who attend my prenatal course (or another teacher who uses the same ideology) and those who went to marathon courses in the public sector.
In my prenatal course I open the discussion with a question: Why breastfeed – and then follow up with – What problems have you seen among your friends/family?
This opens Pandora`s box and often we get to discuss much further-reaching issues beyond the first days. And most important, their partners are usually there and can learn how to give support after the birth,
The door is then open for them to contact me after the birth and it is surprising how much they remember from that prenatal session.
Wendy Blumfield
National Childbirth Trust Prenatal Tutor Teacher/Breastfeeding Counsellor
Haifa, Israel