From:
"Dr. Tom Hale" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 1995 18:02:40 -0600
To Jay:  Re  Lead poisoning:

        To reiterate,  Jay and her family discovered their dishes contained
lead...

        It would very unlikely that you have absorbed sufficient lead from
your dishes to have produced lead poisoning.   Lead is only extracted from
dishware under acidic conditions,  that is,  storing wine,  or vinegar in a
pot containing lead.   Under these conditions(acidic),  lead can be
extracted from the pottery.
But to allievate your worry,  I would have a clinical laboratory run a lead
screen on yourself.  Be sure it is a venous drawn sample(NOT finger stick,
they're highly erronious).  I really doubt you've had significant
absorption.   If you have high levels,  then you need to see a toxicologist
who can chelate you to remove the lead,  its really quite easy and
nontraumatic nowadays.    I would personally ask the store that sold you
these dishes to pay for the lead assay,  and maybe even the therapy if
necessary.  There is no reason for dishware to contain lead  today,  its
absolutely stupid.

        If your lead level is very high,  then chelation is required and it
is conceivable that it could dramatically elevate your milk lead levels.  I
would be very cautious during this process,  concerning breastfeeding.
Normal lead ranges are considered to be less than  10 mcg/dl.

Tom Hale