From:
Jack Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 17:07:23 -0500
Mastitis may occur any time, even in a woman who has never been
pregnant.  It is unusual, but occurs.  It is not rare in babies when
they have the breasts in the first few weeks of life.  Indeed, I have
seen a number of breast abscesses in newborns.

I think pumping would not be such a good idea in this situation.
Breasts are not supposed to be "emptied" during pregnancy.  I can't
think of another reason.  Just gut feeling.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC