Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 13:04:15 EST
Nikki says,

> However, it bothers me that babies who latch on well ( as demonstrated in
> all the self-attachment videos) would be considered to be doing less than
> excellent. Why isn't doing the best that one can not good enough in this
> system? Gulping is not approriate at 20 minutes or 20 hours of life, as you
> said, because volumes are low.

I understand your point, Nikki -- well taken.  However, this isn't to be used
for just the first couple of days.  And I would be concerned, perhaps, if a
baby consistently, after the first 48 to 72 hours did not move up to
"excellent."  It gives us (and the moms) a basis to go by.  And we didn't
want it complicated.  The more complicated you make it (OK, if your baby is
under 72 hours old, and if you hear occasional swallows, that's an excellent
for that age baby, but if he is over 72 hours old and your milk is supposed
to be in, but isn't, well then....on the other hand, if.....).  Trying to
make it simple.

You can relate it, I suppose, to APGAR scoring.  It's based on 10 points, but
most hospitals/nurses/physicians refuse to give 10s because baby's hands and
feet are bluish.  Of course, that is NORMAL during the first few minutes of
life, but since the "rules" of APGARING call for completely pink, top to
bottom by 1 minute or you get a point taken off, then all babies get a 9.
Which is the top score even though the top score is 10.  And yes, before you
all get huffy, I do know there are quite a few folks that fudge on that and
give 10s for bluish hands and feet.  But that is NOT the way the guidelines
are written.

Jan -- who hesitated before posting the descriptors, but...