From:
Elizabeth Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2014 05:47:15 -0400
I don't think we have to worry, here in the US, about the feds coming after
us on a price-fixing charge, for doing research on IBCLC rates.  Several
elements are required to meet the definition of a federal antitrust
violation of the Sherman Act, for price fixing, intended to control the
market.

It is  reasonable and legal to fact-gather information about IBCLC
professional service rates.  Markets *do* vary: an IBCLC in Manhattan can
charge a great deal more than one in North Dakota.

Price-fixing requires a concerted effort to control the market and subvert
competition.  It requires one to coerce or conspire with every IBCLC in the
area to charge the same rate.

When IBCLCs are first starting out in private practice,  I suggest they
simply pick up the phone and call around and ask their colleagues what they
charge.  Mothers do the same thing, every day!   Of course, mothers are not
professional colleagues ... but if I am not willing to share my fee
information with a colleague who asks, there is something very wrong with
my business model.

In 2004 the U.S. Dept. of Justice issued a press release assuring us that
we could, indeed, gather this information:
http://www.justice.gov/atr/public/press_releases/2004/203830.htm

--
Liz Brooks, JD, IBCLC, FILCA
Wyndmoor, PA, USA