From:
Ros Escott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 21:47:48 +1100
>The oats are more than likely genetically engineered. (human
>milk components are being genetically engineered into various
>plants--tobacco, rice, etc--so they might be doing oats).  In fact
>I suspect that the peptide is from human
>milk--genetically engineered of course--stops diarrhea and has
>anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal properties. The
>understanding of mastitis and hiv among scientists is rather
>strange.  Reading any of the studies makes one question their
>definitions of mastitis, subclinical mastitis and weaning.

I might have thought this too, but Professor Lars Hansen is one of the
world's leading immunologists and breastmilk is his focal point. He is not
messing with GI foods - that's what makes it so amazing. I listened to the
tape of his presentation again today and he was talking about regular oats,
cooked. One of his colleagues has identified a naturally occurring peptide
in the oats that they think is the mechanism. He says they can totally
prevent mastitis in sows (pigs) by feeding them heat treated oats, that is
why he is so interested in it for humans. Perhaps it won't work in humans,
but the implications would be fantastic if it did. And whether it would help
the mother with repeated plugs and cystic breasts, who knows? In this era of
hi-tech drugs and GI foods, if there is something that at least does no harm

I also agree that the understanding of mastitis and HIV among many
scientists is very limited, but this guy has studied human lactation for
something like 30 years. In terms of immunology, he knows more about it than
we'll ever hope to understand. Even though it is complex, he presents very
well. Someone ought to invite him to an ILCA Conference.

Ros Escott
Tasmania, Australia