From:
Shelley McGuire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 14:29:43 PST8PDT
Ros,

cancer. First of all, I'd be very interested in the reference that
you spoke of.  Second of all, I'd like to make a couple of comments
about conjugated linoleic acid (CLA).  This fatty acid is found in
products from ruminant animals (cows, sheep, etc.), because only the
organisms in their rumens can make this fat.  Thus, it's found almost
exclusively in milk, other dairy products  and beef in our diets.
Data indicate that this fatty acid is probably the most potent
naturally-occuring anticarcinogen currently known, as it drastically inhibits
both initiation and promotion of cancer growth in both animal models
and cell culture systems.  Further, animal studies suggest that when
CLA is fed to lactating rats, their pups grow better.  As lactational
physiologists at the
University of Idaho, my husband and I are interested in the potential
for CLA to inhibit cancer in humans, and specifically breastfeeding
women.  We have measured the CLA content of human milk and infant
formula, and have found relatively high levels of CLA in human milk
and practically none in formula.  We are now looking at the
relationship between maternal diet (dairy foods intake)
 and CLA content of human milk.

Of course, the implications of this are unknown, but this is quite
interesting.  I'll keep you posted...

Shelley McGuire, PhD

Shelley McGuire
University of Idaho
(208) 885-6351
FAX: 208-885-6420
"Life itself is the proper binge." -Julia Child, chef