Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 11:23:47 +0000
Aileen  - I didn't know much about bf in Japan, and what you say is really
interesting.

>I am not trying to imply that test weighing or noting the timing of
>feeds is in and of itself wrong.

Well the test weighing is up for debate as you see here, but you can go
ahead and imply all you want about timing the feeds. It is, as JN said here
the other day, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong : )  In itself, of itself, and
every which way : )

>I would just like to point out that -
>sometimes - it can get taken too far, and may be damaging to the
>breastfeeding relationship.

There's no 'may' about it. It does, and there is a ton of evidence to prove
it - going back 20 plus  years (check out Woolridge, Baum, for starters).

>Questions that I usually consider, before going to the "numbers" are:
>
>Does the baby have enough access to the breast?
>What is the baby doing when he is at the breast- is the latch and
>position effective?
>What is the baby's suck like- how does the mother describe it?
>Many times starting here has helped to work through breastfeeding
>issues.

Those basics are the soundest principles. Right on!

I'd love to know about Japan's bf stats, Aileen - are there any rates of
initiation and continuance?

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK