Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2008 17:36:32 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
I have seen the movie twice, and it has profoundly impacted my own choices, as I am currently 35 weeks pregnant with my 5th baby. 
  I had a very different point of view regarding the breastfeeding depiction, specifically at the end when talking to Abby Epstein about her experience. The movie shows many women with happy, unmedicated natural deliveries, followed by close contact with the mother and nursing. Then cut to the one birth that ends up being transferred to the hospital, baby delivered via c-section, and  separated from mother extensively after being born. Then cut to 8 months later and the baby is bottle-feeding, with a pacifier in his mouth and the mother refers to his "problems". 
  This is not to say that the c-section and hospital transfer in this case were not warranted, I am not at all knowledgable about that and assume they were since that is what her midwife decided was best. But I think the comparison it provides raises valid questions in the viewers mind about how interventions and mother/baby separation in the early post-partum can effect attachment and breastfeeding in particular. 
  Just my way of looking at it. 
  Shaunda Penny, CLC
  Saratoga Springs, NY

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2