From:
Cynthia Good Mojab <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 09:40:04 -0700
Jodi wrote regarding Donna's post: <Your post was most enlightening to me
and I will always remember what you have said when next I communicate with
a sight impaired person. It is difficult to imagine just how my ignorance
has affected other persons I have communicatined with unless someone, such
as yourself, brings these ignorances (all-be-it unintentional ignorance, it
is still ignorance) to my attention.>

Anyone wanting to learn more about visual impairment and its relationship
with communication and breastfeeding can take a look at two articles
archived on La Leche League International's website. Donna's article goes
into even more detail than her excellent post. I highly recommend reading
it if any of you haven't yet done so. I wrote my own article on the topic
after struggling to gather the information, resources and skills that I
needed to more effectively provide breastfeeding support and information to
women with visual impairments--and to figure out how to help our La Leche
League Group more effectively include mothers with visual differences. Even
though I had experience providing psychological counseling services to
visually impaired clients prior to becoming a La Leche League Leader, I
found I had more to learn. And it took a full year of active inquiry for me
to learn much of what is included in my article. Of course, I do all my
work under the supervision of my now four-year-old daughter... You all
might be faster learners than me! On the other hand, many of you are likely
in the same well-supervised boat! :)

Cookson Martin, D. LLL and the Mother Who Is Blind, LEAVEN, Vol. 28 No. 5,
September-October 1992, pp. 67-69. Online at:
http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVSepOct92p67.html

Good Mojab, C. Helping the Visually Impaired or Blind Mother Breastfeed,
LEAVEN, Vol. 35 No. 3, June-July 1999, pp. 51-56
Online at: http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVJunJul99p51.html

Warmly,

Cynthia

Cynthia Good Mojab, MS Clinical Psychology
(Breastfeeding mother, advocate, independent [cross-cultural] researcher
and author; freelance writer; LLL Leader and Research Associate in the LLLI
Publications Department; and former psychotherapist currently busy
nurturing her own little one.)
Ammawell
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web site: http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/SupportSt/ammawell