From:
Roni Chastain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 18:43:40 EST

jan,
i absolutely feel the same way about normal birth. i feel like  i am batting
my head against the wall trying to *convince* people that the  safest way for
a baby to be born is *drugfree*. that would include  epidurals!!!!
it is a losing battle......sad but true. i feel like a  dinosaur as a lamaze
instructor. women just do not want pain, any  pain.

one of my favorites quotes from amy spangler,
*while breastfeeding may not seem the best choice for every  parent, it is
the best choice for every baby*
we can certainly apply that to a drugfree birth.

i am also old.....
roni
Roni M. Chastain, RN, LCCE, FACCE
Long Island, New York
_www.nursingbabies.com_ (http://www.customphotonotes.com/)
_http://www.nursingbabies.com/slideshow.htm_
(http://www.nursingbabies.com/slideshow.htm)

My, my,  my.

Y'know guys, it is time to bag this profession and time for a   bookstore.
I'm feeling battered on all sides:

From the IBLCE  (SoP, CERP issue, 2nd credential, lack of  response to
concerns,  makeup of the board, refusal to respond to concerns, Exam  issues,

inability to get applications out in a timely manner, etc   etc....)
From the ACOG (no out of hospital births  tolerated)
From  the AAP (Absolutely, never, ever, under any  circumstances, bedshare
with your infant)
From the AMA (SoP for NON-physicians?  Heaven  help  us!!)

Etc etc etc.

Why on earth am I in this  breastfeeding business?   Someone mentioned it
going the way of  the Edsel.  Yes -- and the  albatross.   I'd like to think
the
Phoenix, but it rose again, and I'm  not sure breastfeeding can  withstand
all
the assaults.  Not to mention  lactation  consultants.  And normal birthing
proponents.

I'm  old.

Maybe retirement?

Jan  Barger