From:
Judith Hain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 00:29:25 -0400
From: Judy Hain, Southern NJ
I am helping a mom whose baby's history follows:
Birth 4-1-97   Girl, Good birth, 8 lbs
2 days old mom noticed baby was blue around lips after nursing
ultimate diagnosis: Total Anomolous Pulmonary Venous Return
Surgery at 8 days
Some feeding, latch-on problems post-op/ NG tube 2-3 days
Baby down to 6lbs. 7oz
Discharged at 2wks of age weighing 6lbs. 11oz
Slow weight gain ever since
Now at 4 mo- 9lbs 3oz
Baby nurses every 2-3 hours, good number of wet diapers and bowel
movements.
Developmentally age appropiate.
Post-op baby was diagnosed with Long GT Syndrome, however no EKG since
can turn this up again. However this condition does preclude many
different meds.
Experiences "chest problems"- wheezing, coughing, choking on mucous
Shows signs of reflux, cries after 10 min. at breast, etc.
Upper GI shows no other abnormalities, DR assumes reflux
baby is taking:
Inderal-every 6 hrs
Lasix-1x day
xantac-2x day
regulan-4x day
Mother has tried pumping hind milk and using it in SNS- no noticable
improvement
Toddler nursing 1-2x day.
baby is gaining barely 1/2 oz per day at this point. Dr wants to see 1oz
to 1 1/2 oz per day in the next two weeks or will begin NG tube (pump at
night)
Mom is concerned about the effect this will have on baby's
breastfeeding, baby reacts to dairy in mom's diet. Mother is experienced
( 3rd child) , very compliant and very dedicated. Anyone who could offer
some advice to this mother please respond to the list or e-mail me
privately ( I do receive digest form)
Thank you.
Judy Hain