From:
Virginia Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2017 08:02:53 +1000
Subject: Galactogogues

Laurie:
That is correct. The Protocol was dated January 2011 and was due for review
this year. So far I haven't seen an update. The document conveniently
included Levels of Evidence for commonly used substances used as
galactogogues.

We, as IBCLCs, are an evidence-based profession and need to be conversant
with objective sources, especially if we lack access to the whole
literature to weigh up the evidence for ourselves (which is a real
skill).   Of concern to me is that mothers will take ideas from friends and
advertising and end up taking a plethora of different products, perhaps in
excess of a moderate dose (to a level at which safety hasn't been assessed)
- instead of going to basics. That is, as the ABM Protocol states, working
on improved latch and breastfeeding frequently enough to stimulate and
maintain supply (or extracting milk manually or by pump if they are
separated from their babies or the baby cannot latch).

There are two spellings, "galactogogue" and "galactagogue", both correct,
and I prefer the former.

Incidentally, during the 20th century some of the "galactogogues"
recommended in my country, Australia, included very large Lactogol tablets,
which were taken off the market in the 1970s after concerns were expressed
about content. Another was (in booklets handed out to new mothers by
hospital staff) artificial infant formula, clearly on the basis that if a
mother decided to breastfeed instead of feeding her new baby on the
product, sales would still be made if she believed she had to drink it
herself to make milk. Tonic drinks such as Ovaltine, Aktavite and Complan
were also - without any evidence - urged on mothers by nurses to improve
supply. Herbal tills and teas would have been unusual here till the very
end of the century, and then in particular areas.

I look forward to seeing the next edition of the ABM Protocol.

Virginia

Dr Virginia Thorley, OAM, PhD, IBCLC, FILCA'Privagte Practice Lactation
Consutant
Historian of Medicine

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 3:00 PM, LACTNET automatic digest system <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Topics of the day:
>
>   1. what to expect on day two
>   2. Galactagogues
>
> Lactnet Archives are at:
> LACTNET Archives http://community.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html
> To Manage your Subscription, ie go nomail, index, etc, go to:
> http://community.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html
>
> Thanks!
>
> LACTNET Facilitators
>  Kathleen B. Bruce RN, BSN, IBCLC
>  Rachel Myr, midwife, IBCLC
>  Kathy Koch PhD
>  Linda Pohl
>  Karleen Gribble PhD
>  Norma Ritter, IBCLC
>  Nina Berry PhD
>
> Questions to [log in to unmask]

> set lactnet nomail
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet
welcome

> Date:    Sun, 10 Dec 2017 19:21:17 +0200
> From:    "Fogelmans ." <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: what to expect on day two
>
> Hello wise women,
>
> I remember that one of you had a page on your website about normal infant
> behaviour on day 2. I was hoping to translate it to Hebrew and hang it
next
> to every bed in our maternity ward. Does anyone remember on which website
> it is and if it happens to be your's, can I have permission to translate
> it?
>
> Thanks so much,
> Chayn Fogelman IBCLC RN Israel

> set lactnet nomail
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet
welcome

Laurie Wheeler <[log in to unmask]> wrote