Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2006 11:29:21 +0000

>This book is by Gina Ford.  It very strongly prescribes a routine that
>includes limiting feeds to third or fourth hourly during the day, giving ebm
>in a bottle in the evening and increasing the length of night sleeps.  I
>frequently counsel mothers who are using this 'routine' and at a couple of
>moths old have supply issues.  It is a recipe for unphysiologic feeding,
>leading to formula feeding.
>'Well behaved women rarely make history' -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
>
>Nina Berry

This book has been discussed before on Lactnet. GF is a British
author and maternity nanny, with no formal qualifications in
childcare, nutrition, lactation suppport....she was a hotel manager
and babysat a lot of babies, and then started hiring herself out as a
maternity nanny (for which you need no qualifications in the UK).

*****She is  litigious so I suggest we are very careful about what we
say about her. *****

Her lawyers have successfully got the proprieters of Mumsnet, a
well-known parenting website (http://www.mumsnet.co.uk) to ban any
mention of her or her books, and Mumsnet (run by people who are doing
it for love, not money) came very close to closure because of remarks
made on their talkboards.

See this news story:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1839313,00.html

Nina's account of the 'Contented' regime is accurate, and her
experience of what happens when this regime is followed also reflects
our experience here in the UK. There are other aspects of the regime
that people qualified in lactation support would find at odds with
what we know about the physiology of breastfeeding.

Our impressions are that the book's popularity is going off the boil,
somewhat, but that may be false.

She has several books dealing with sleep, potty training, toddlerhood
and weaning, but the main one is the Contented Little Baby Book.

It is sometimes known as 'The Contentious Little Baby Book'  :)

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc,tutor, UK