From:
Jodine Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2010 13:18:14 -0700
On 2010-12-09, at 12:47 PM, micaela notarangelo wrote:

> So, I think that even if there is no consensus about the guidelines for human milk storage, it still is an important issue to consider, and what should be said is perhaps that more research would be useful.

I would like to point out that this issue is prominent in recent North American media coverage of milk sharing. Both Health Canada and the FDA have recently issued warnings about the practice of milk sharing.

In both warnings the issue of contamination of expressed breastmilk is discussed. In both cases the organization did not provide any guidelines for the safe handling of expressed milk - just a warning. This lack of clarity is likely to cause additional concern for the many women who express milk for storage for later feedings *for their own infants*.

-- Jodine Chase

The FDA warning said:

> In addition, if human milk is not handled and stored properly, it could, like any type of milk, become contaminated and unsafe to drink.

http://www.fda.gov/ScienceResearch/SpecialTopics/PediatricTherapeuticsResearch/ucm235203.htm

The Health Canada warning includes this rather jumbled and hard to parse paragaph:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media/advisories-avis/_2010/2010_202-eng.php