From:
Cheri Van Hoover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 21:43:22 -0800
> Does anyone know the myth about the milky way being created by a massive
> milk ejection reflex brought on by suckling a child of the God Zeus? I'm
> running a study day called 'The (breast) milky way' and would like to
> write this story on the study day proceedings.All I can remember is the
> the child was fathered by Zeus and I think the mother was mortal.

I can't find a reference to this myth in my library, but it is the subject of one
of my favorite paintings.  It is by the artist Tintoretto and hangs in the
National Gallery in London.  It is entitled "Origin of the Milky Way."

There are .jpg images of this painting on the Web.  You can do a search, then
download them from the web sites using that wonderful right mouse button.

Cheri Van Hoover, CNM