From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 17:28:51 -0400
Wrote privately to Kathy re: her 8-yr. old's recurring yeast infections, but
thought that the treatment I use for yeast when I get an inf. (I'm
hyper-sensitive to all the lotrimin-type preparations) might be of interest
to others. And just while I was typing this, I thought "Oh, the compress
idea might be soothing to a baby with a yeast diaper rash" - does anybody
know if there's anything in this that would be harmful to a baby?

In about 2 cups of warm water, dissolve 1/2 tsp.(or more)  baking soda, and
add 2 drops each of essential oils of lavender, rosemary, and tea tree oil.
Add this to a comfortably warm bathtub filled to about hip depth, and be
sure to slosh it right up around the vagina (it can also be used as a
douche, so it's OK to have direct contact w/vaginal mucosa). Or you can use
it in a sitz-bath, if you have one, or soak a diaper or soft cloth in it &
use it as a compress (or a tampon, inserted overnight). Do this once or
twice a day for three days - it usually makes the area feel better & soothes
it, and can clear the whole thing up. It's completely non-toxic, and smells
good too. The baking soda changes the vaginal pH (as well as being
soothing), the tea tree oil & lavender are antifungal, antiseptic, antiviral
& antibiotic, & rosemary oil is antiseptic.

Cathy Bargar, RN, IBCLC Ithaca NY