From:
"Yerxa, Kate" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 12:39:33 -0500
I agree that it can take a while for the cow's milk proteins to leave both mom
and baby's system. I have read that 3 weeks is the "standard" time frame, but
it could be longer - speaking from experience, I have a 13 month, breasfed
daughter and we dealt with a similar situation. For her, it took about 5 to 6
weeks for the felcks of blood to disappear. Every case is different.

How are the stools otherwise? Just flecks of blood or are they mucousy? At 12
weeks the gut still has a way to go to mature and could take longer to heal
from the insult of the cow's milk protein.

There is an interesting article in the April 2006 volume of Pediatrics
titled "Rectal Bleeding in Infancy" - research done in Finland abut the
incidence of this. At the end of the article the researchers suggest the use of
probiotics with infants who are experiencing rectal bleeding. They found that
the infants who had flecks of blood in their stool tended to have low counts of
bifidobacteria and lactobacilli compared to the control infants. Is this an
option the mom has discussed with her pediatrician? Just make sure the
probiotics she chooses are dairy free.