From:
Cynthia Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 18:40:45 -0400
It is a delicate situation because you do want them to breastfeed any
amount and for any length rather than none. Also I do want them to see
the experience as postive, even if they quit in a few days so they will
try again next time with more enthusiasm.

 I usually ask how long they would like to breastfeed. Some want to
breastfeed at least 6 months and when informed that a baby may wean
early if doing mixed feeds from the beginning and why, they have opted
to start out exclusively breastfeeding. This is probably the exception
but a few  Moms, when educated, have opted to start out just breastfeeding.

I remember my first LC visit in 1991-this low income Mom was adamently
against it and let everyone in the waiting room of the prenatal clinic
know during the breastfeeding class. The nutritionist talked to her
about at least trying it, just once, and she fell in love with it! Had
numerous problems but hung in there and did both for several months.

Marci Scott and Jane McGuffey, if you are out there, remember?

Cindy Church
Lansing MI