From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 16:58:01 EDT
Dear Susan,
What I read from Chele Marmet's book on tongue training I also apply to
finger feeding.
Touch the baby's lips and wait for him to open, then insert finger fat pad
side up and touch the palate, when baby starts to suck, turn your finger over
and gently press down on the first half of the tongue, the downward action is
down -- forward -- relax -- then repeat.
I teach parents to do the same with bottle nipples because I want the same
tongue movement and stimulation.  I agree that babies have the potential to
get addicted to any form of alternative feeding but if the baby is not taking
the breast then they have to be fed.  Later you work to wean them from the
alternative method.
Ann Perry RN IBCLC
Boston, MA