From:
Nina Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2008 07:10:07 +1100
As far as I am aware eye prophylaxis has never been routine in Australia.
At risk of stepping on a political chestnut, perhaps this is because
Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (I think this might be what
you guys call a "one-payer medical provider") are unwilling to fund blanket
pharmaceutical intervention in order to prevent a relatively small number of
cases of gonorrhoea related conjunctivitis.  The cost is too high. (All
inpatient pharmaceuticals are provided at no cost to public in-patients who
are also treated at no cost to themselves.)  Certainly mothers are screened
for risk factors associated with STIs (by midwives at booking in visit -
there are screeds of personal questions to answer) and offered
testing/treatment.
Cheers
Nina Berry
Australia