Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2007 18:07:18 +1200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
I am hoping someone may have some ideas for me here or some prior experience.

In my hospital job I have been following through a mum who had her first baby at 25 weeks because of severe PET.  He is now nearly 6 months old but 9 weeks corrected age.  He has BPD (chronic lung disease) and is on low-flow oxygen at home.  He went home fully breastfed on a nipple shield  and was having 7 feeds in 24 hours.  Gaining well and reasonably settled.  Still using a pacifier for his distressed moments.  Due to his long hospitalisation and limited mother contact (i.e. no rooming in until the very end), the breast is not his natural place of comfort unfortunately!

He is thriving and exclusively breastfed UNTIL recently when he started breast refusal behaviour.  This was also around the time of an immunisation.  He now absolutely refuses to breastfeed and he is having EBM via a bottle.

His mum has contacted LLL who gave her good advice but to no avail.  I suspect his whole NICU experience plays a part here and I wonder how often this happens?  I also note that babies with chronic lung disease get irritable easily - do others find that?

His mum is about to give it all away which I wouldn't advise for a number of reasons, but mainly it is winter here and he was a chronic lung disease.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.  

Karen Palmer
NZ, Midwife and IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2