From:
Cathy Carothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 14:56:29 -0400
Barb,

I'd like to chime in my "congrats" for your courage in taking this positive step.  I have learned through the years that some of life's most rewarding changes are the ones that *seem* ridiculous by normal standards.  But when you go with your heart and what's right for you, things have a way of falling into place and giving you peace.

If you approach the drive as something to enjoy and savor, you'll be amazed at how precious this quiet time can be for you.  When I worked in the State WIC Office in Jackson, I too had a long drive...about an hour+ one way.  But I soon discovered some therapeutic benefits.  On the way to work, I used that time to slowly begin to focus on the tasks ahead for me that day, and arrived at the office ready to dive into the challenges ahead (which I'm sure drove my coworkers crazy...most of them required coffee and an hour or so before they could jump into work).  I am convinced this was one reason I was able to maximize my time at work and accomplish so much.  On the drive home, the cares and stresses of the day would slowly dissipate, and the closer I got to home, the more prepared and ready I was to greet my family and be there for them completely.

Our thoughts are with you.  Go girl!

Cathy Carothers, IBCLC