Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2007 13:12:25 +0900
On 27/01/2007, at 12:37, Jenna Klabunde wrote:

> 	I believe that women today are very conscious that breastfeeding is
> beneficial.  Some women, however, remain unknowledgeable about basic
> breastfeeding facts and options to breastfeed if they have to go
> back to
> work.  How can we get this information to mothers and encourage
> them to
> breastfeed even if they go back to work?

I'm a very firm believer in mother-to-mother support systems. If a
woman feels as though (or perhaps is) the only woman in her
workplace, the only woman in her circle of friends who has ever
regularly expressed milk, she will feel alone and unsupported.
Support and information go hand in hand; I don't think that a
brochure and/or professional advice alone carry sufficient impetus
for many women to continue with the difficult job of expressing in
the absence of an encouraging, informed, emotionally supportive peer
group.

If a woman lacks an expressing peer group in  her workplace or circle
of friends, there are a number of internet groups that serve the
purpose, for those women with internet access. This is my chosen
method of breastfeeding support provision at this point in my life. I
can't tell you the number of women who have burst into tears of
relief at finding their pumping peer group and realising there is a
whole world of women out there who share her experiences.

This isn't the only thing that needs doing of course; there are
systematic barriers to expressing in the workplace for many women,
both practical and interpersonal, and these need to be broken down
with the dual processes of societal attitude change and legislative
protection.

Lara Hopkins