Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 07:53:07 EDT
For a circumcision, the baby should be able to be fed up to about 1/2 hour
prior--this is just to prevent spitting up at the time of the circ/bris when
the baby is held down or put on a circ board.  Anesthesia with a circ is
local, either EMLA cream or dorsal penile nerve block or circumferential
block.  There certainly is no indication to bottle feed a baby anything prior
to the circ.

A number of years ago when my nephew had his bris, the mohel told my SIL to
give him a bottle of soy formula beforehand to "fill him up" and "keep him
quiet".  She followed his instructions, despite my advice to just nurse him
instead, and my concerns about allergenicity.  (This was, by the way, her
fourth child but first boy; all were breastfeed.)

Seems like some of the mohels need to learn something about normal infant
feeding!

Linda L. Shaw MD FAAP