Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 21:42:31 -0700
Toni,
Kuddos!!!  Residents have a hard time understanding anything unless you
show them a "need to know".  Here's one way: (1) there were about five
questions on the Family Practice Board exam this last time on
breastfeeding, and about five more that were closely related; (2) most FP
residents hope to practice in an "upper-middle-class" private practice when
they get out, regardless of whether that's urban or rural.  These are the
patients most likely to breastfeed.  Studies show that most healthcare
decisions for an entire family are made by the mother, so it behooves them
for the sake of feeding their own kids in the future, to learn about and be
supportive of breastfeeding.

Regarding the curriculum itself:
The interns have a four-hour workshop that's part didactic, part
interactive on breastfeeding (required), in which they learn the risks of
artificial feeding (the common and the lesser-known), the basics of how to
evaluate latch, how to tell baby's getting enough, the common problems and
treatments, how to read Tom Hale's book, the difference between various
types of breastpumps, etc.  This also gives them some info on LC's and what
they do.

Since we have such a large WIC patient pouplation and WIC in our state is
really pushing breastfeeding, a fair number of our clinic patients
breastfeed (about 30%), so they get some exposure in continuity clinic.

Then there's the elective rotation they can do with me as second or
third-year residents.  A whole month of seeing consults in my clinic,
reading, interactive computer modules, etc.  Have a resident doing this in
December!

Hope this helps,
Becky Saenz, MD, IBCLC
Assistant Professor of Family Medicine