From:
Judith Hatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Apr 2003 12:02:02 EDT
Theresa,
I have made a presentation regarding the importance of breastfeeding to a
group similar to the one you are discussing.  My outline is on my computer at
work, but I think I can remember some of it.

I begin by discussing that breastfeeding is important for any baby.  Talk
briefly about some medical benefits and the recommendation statements of some
professional organizations.

I also discuss a true and false questionnaire that I have had attendees
complete just prior to my presentation, Many of my questions have been taken
from Dr. Newman's Myths.

I look at issues that may put the target group at risk for parenting
problems. (young age, low socioeconomic status, low education level or
learning disorders, poor parenting models).  Discuss how breastfeeding may
reduce their risk of parenting problems (ex. mom must participate in majority
of care, must hold to feed, closer connection with infant, no chance of
mixing or measuring errors).

I end by discussing how these participant can help.  A lot of good info can
be obtained from Best Start regarding counseling tips.

If you want any more info, I would be glad to send you my outline and