From:
Pam Wiggins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 1996 11:30:29 -0500
Hi all,
        It wasn't popular to breastfeed in 1973.  In fact, in the small
Virginia town where I lived, I didn't personally know any women who had
nursed their babies. And it had never crossed MY mind until my husband and I
took an expectant parents' class at the local community college.
        The class, taught by two Red Cross nurses, was made up of about 10 couples,
all about as ignorant of parenting as we  were.  We learned the basics: how
to bathe a baby, change diapers, and how to mix formula.   Both nurses had
actually breastfed their children for a while, and mentioned it as a
feeding option.  They even said  it was "better" than formula feeding.  But
no instruction was given,  and when they asked if anyone planned to
breastfeed, not a single hand went up.   However, the seed was planted.  And
somehow I just knew that breastfeeding was the right thing to do.
Afterwards my husband and I discussed it a little, and he, being a good farm
boy, commented that he liked the idea, and hoped I would try it.  (He knew
all about colostrum and how calves couldn't  survive without it.)   I can't
remember discussing it again, or even reading anything about it before my
son was born.
        But when the time came, I just did it. Thankfully, Joe knew more
about breastfeeding than I did.  He latched right on, and nursed for 5
minutes on each side, just like the nurse had instructed.  In time, after
jaundice (of course), sore nipples, and engorgement, we got the hang of it.
        Each of my children was nurtured at my breasts for a long, long
time,  and received the very best I had to give.  As I look back,  I'm glad
I gave my children the best possible start.  They have all  turned out to be
responsible young adults who are confident,  well-behaved, and unafraid to
try new things.

Pam Wiggins, IBCLC, Franklin VA
Website:  http://www.bookzone.com/breastfeeding