From:
Marsha Glass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 00:51:00 -0500
Catherine says, << Hmm, I wonder if there are hormonal differences
between introverts and extroverts....  If an introvert were more prone
to pump out
catecholamines under stress, or produce higher blood levels, or produce
a greater effect from the same levels as an extrovert, there might be
some merit to your hypothesis>>

I think it is probable that there are hormonal differences between
introverts and extroverts.  How about we throw another factor into the
mix?  Nils Bergman and others also talk about the neural pathways that
are set from early childhood on.  This can account for
obsessive-compulsive or neurotic or "anal retentive" traits among many
others.  How might these pathways we each develop differently affect
breastfeeding and MER?  Something that might bring a response of "well,
I know it's possible there is a sabre-tooth tiger out there, but I can't
just stop living, now can I?!" might cause another to feel that "Dear
g-d there is a s-t tiger behind the tree and he's going to eat me, I
just know it!"  I just think there are too many possible explanations
for variations among individuals to discount completely the possibility
that stress or a number of other things can affect MER.  So, Catherine
and Diane, have I begged the question enough?  I am thinking
particularly of my incident with the formula company rep and the doc who
chewed me out for saying anything to him a year ago.  A lot of people
would have just been very angry at the doc, but he scared me.  My
response to him was totally out of character for me and was a fight or
flight response, with my only escape route cut off leaving fight as the
only option.  It was hard-wired.  I couldn't have kept my mouth shut!
BTW, I have some interesting news about my situation here, but I will
know more later today so I will wait to share it!

Marsha
Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future
generations as all other earthly causes combined.