From:
Bracha Haskel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 15:58:18 +0200
     A four month old baby has stopped willingly breastfeeding over the past
three weeks. When offered the breast he screams hysterically (mom says he's
hoarse!), arches back, and clenches his fists. He can be convinced to feed
only during sleep, sometimes only 4 times a day. Mom is hanging in there but
is very worried about babe and wants to continue breastfeeding! Doctor has
been consulted--no problems with ears, etc.
     Baby has always swallowed huge amounts of air ("gulps"). I thought this
might be the second stage of an overactive let-down, but mom doesn't think
so. I found a description in the BAB of the arching (Hypertonic) baby (p
259). Should a neurological check be gently suggested, or is that overkill?
Baby was born by emergency C-sec for prolapse and spent a week in NICU. In
any event, what treatment will help if this babe is hypertonic? Special
positioning? Other tricks for getting him back on the breast? (I suggested
skin-to-skin, co-bathing, and patience) Mom wants to know *when* this will
pass. Can anyone share experience of a "strike" that has lasted so long?
     One other detail that I'm guessing isn't related, but you never know!
Mom has been topically applying ceratospore for fungus on toenails (urea and
bifonazole).
     Thankyou!
Bracha Haskel
LLL, Childbirth educator