From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2012 19:02:21 +0100
As far as I can see, all the posts reiterate the problem I was hoping
to find a solution to:  there is no freely available video out there
(YouTube, even) showing how to bottle feed a baby responsively,
avoding overfeeding, rushing, stressing.  There are too many films
available showing how not to do it, even from sources you would hope
knew better!

I found the info sheet that used to be available on the Baby-Friendly
UK website, on safe preparation of bottle feeds, useful for the
preparation part.   It was also WAY more meticulous than anything I've
seen produced in Norway.

It is not a violation of the WHO Code to instruct parents in safe
preparation of artificial feeds or in how to give a bottle, but it is
a requirement in Baby-Friendly evaluation that such instruction be
given individually to those who need it, not provided in a group as
though it is something all new mothers ought to know how to do.   For
that reason it should not be included in instructional films for use
in routine postpartum teaching about infant feeding.  The routine,
universal info is the breastfeeding info.  The other info is for
defined subgroups who need it.

Still wondering whether we should make such material available on the
BF org website :-)   Possibly something for the mother-to-mother
bottle feeding support website.  I'm not joking, there are a couple of
mothers who started such a site a few years back when they discovered
that nobody in the health services was willing to instruct them on
even the safe  preparation of artficial feeds, some of them even using
Baby-Friendly requirements as an excuse!   These mothers had intended
to breastfeed and experienced problems getting their babies to breast
that led them to end up bottle feeding, whether it was expressed milk
or formula.   They identified a serious lack in the health services, a
lack that still exists, despite the professed wish on the part of many
public health nurses to avoid making mothers who bottle-feed, feel
guilty, by informing them honestly about the differences between
breastfeeding and artificial feeding.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway