From:
Anne Garrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 22:20:27 -0500
Dear Lactnetters,

I would like to get your opinions on what is the normal amount of wet diapers
you would see in an exclusively breastfed baby in the first two to three
weeks.

As an advice nurse in a pedi call center and the resident BF expert I often
have to assess the hydration of  babies (over the phone).  Almost all of them
wear paper diapers and I get very low counts from the parents.  I tested some
paper diapers to see how wet one would feel with less than an ounce of
liquid.  It didn't feel very wet.

Are parents not changing these diapers very often because they are so
expensive?
Do the old standards of wet diaper counts need to be re-evaluated?
Are there two standards: one for paper and one for cloth?

This is even a problem with the older child who is nursing but only has two
or three diaper changes a day.
Please send to my private e-mail: [log in to unmask]  If this needs to be
discussed on Lactnet, post it there also.

Anne Garrett, RN, MS, IBCLC
Pediatric Advice Nurse
also
BF Project Coordinator for