From:
Rod & Joy Kahler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2008 13:17:11 -0800
Royce,
  My heart goes out to you and your 'family'...how awful....

  I truly hope that this mother feels comfortable with giving her 9 year old her breastmilk.  If you are asking what my "personal" opinion is....here it is...

  I weaned my son nearly a year now and I sometimes hear stories like this (our friends' baby just died of Leukemia - not to darken any more thoughts!!) and I think to myself, yes, undoubtedly, I would induce lactation if anything were to happen like this in my immediate family...even for my husband!!!

  So, my answer would be YES YES YES & most emphatically again YES....

  Mothers giving their milk to someone in their family (especially older ones who aren't nursing) is a wonderful way for mothers to feel like they are taking a pro-active roll in helping their (in this case) child the best and (medically speaking) only way they can.

  I hope your friend does feel like she can do this & finds the energy and time....god bless the hand expression technique and the man made double pump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  Again my heart goes out to you and yours!!

  Joy Kahler
  LLL of Wyoming, USA

Royce Anderson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Greetings to all of my wise sisters,

1st of all I would like to ask for your thoughts & prayers. My very 1st
Doula client (at least my 1st when I knew it had a name) and I became very
close during her 1st pregnancy; since then I have helped her with two more
with another one due next month.

Obviously I feel like part of the family; I even spend holidays in their
home. Branagh, the 1st, is now 9 years and has been ill for nearly two
weeks; she was transferred from our nearby hospital to Children's for
further testing. We know now that she had Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. She
had a bolus of chemo directly into her spine when they did the spinal tap
and began chemo in earnest yesterday. It's supposed to be a horrible
regimen with considerable downtime due to side effects. So please keep Miss
Branagh and her mother, Jessica in your thought and prayers.

Now, on to my question; Jessica is due in 4 weeks; will have a natural
delivery & begin nursing ASAP; what do you all think about getting
Breastmilk (assuming mom has the time and energy to pump as well as feed
baby) into Branagh?

You may e-mail me privately if you prefer.

Royce

What you permit, you promote

Royce Anderson
RN, IBCLC, RLC, CD (DONA)