From:
sheila stubbs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2007 05:45:51 -0500
Several of these points make me wonder if the mother is following The Ezzo's
Babywise or Preparation for Parenthood program:

><<~from  4 weeks, sleeps 7 or 8 hours per night after the bottle of formula
>(thereby mom not having her breasts stimulated for 10 or more hours) ~
This is a very positive goal for the Babywiser. Gary Ezzo says when a baby
sleeps through the night at an early age it is because of proper parenting,
not 'luck'.

<<mom had seen countless hcp's about bf/ding before contacting me>>
I wonder if she keeps getting appropriate
>info but is just not following it, for whatever reason. I am willing to bet
>others had recommended a consult, a baby weight, more frequent feeding,
>discontinue pacifier, a pump rental, etc.

IF she is ezzoing, she would ignore the advice to nurse on demand because it
is not "biblical" and therefore seek another and another hcp to find out
what is wrong. She would never suspect the schedule could be wrong.

. Adding 1 or 2 (not always 2) ineffective feeds will not make up
>for a big bottle of formula in volume. Apparently baby is still frustrated:

Babywise discusses "adding one or two feedings" rather than "feeding on
demand" because the feedings must be equally spaced. The mother is
instructed to reduce the time between feedings (never less than 2 1/2 hours,
though!) as a *temporary measure* to increase supply, returning as soon as
possible to the 3-4 hour schedule.

~typical day is wake/feed at 6am; catnap at 7:45am using paci; =
>wake/feed at 8:15am; cat nap @ 10:00am using paci; wake/feed at 10:30am;
>cat
>nap at 12:30pm using paci; wake/feed at 2:00pm.~baby does not nurse to
>sleep>>

VERY typical wording of the ezzo mom.  You must wake the sleeping baby for
the scheduled feeds.  An ezzo mom would use the pacifier for the catnap
because it's "too early" to feed baby. (According to Ezzo, the newborn is in
a state of "metabolic chaos" and it is the parents job to organize the
baby's digestion with regularly-spaced feedings)Baby is never allowed to
nurse to sleep. It's considered a bad habit, unnatural, and a hindrance in
the long run to developing good sleep habits.

The book and the tapes actually tell these mothers to smile and nod  and
continue to do what they have been taught when they get 'wrong' advice (such
as feeding on demand and carrying the baby in a sling for more s2s) from
those in the 'lactation industry' (ezzo's words) who are 'biased' and 'may
not have a working understanding of the benefits of a regular feeding
routine'

While the schedule does work fine for some mother-baby couples, it cannot
work for all of them. The baby who does not do well on the schedule is
labelled "uncooperative".

It is not unusual for the 'uncooperative' baby's schedule to include up to
45 minutes of crying at each naptime while baby learns to fall asleep on his
own. You can see how difficult it could be for the baby to gain weight when
he uses up calories crying himself to sleep and is then woken an hour later
for a feeding. The exhausted baby doesn't feed well, and keeps falling
asleep at the breast. He is not allowed to sleep until the scheduled
naptime, and the mother is instructed to use cool cloths on him if necessary
to keep him awake until naptime, when the crying starts again.

If the baby wakens and begins to cry in the middle of a scheduled naptime,
The mother would never suspect he may be hungry, because the book says this
is a very common occurence often wrongly mistaken for hunger, and it merely
indicates the baby is "moving through a light sleep cycle" and should be
left to settle himself.

Sheila Stubbs, LLLL, doula, cbe,
moderator for the FREEf rom EZZO egroup at yahoogroups