From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 14:36:55 EST

In a message dated 2/2/2006 11:21:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

I think that  the Prolacta business model and their "consistent formulation"
approach  speak the language of hospitals and medical professionals and has
the  potential to be wildly successful, which means more babies getting human

milk when their mothers are otherwise unable to provide it, leading to  more
people becoming familiar and comfortable with the idea of human milk  for
human babies as well as other principles of good health and normal
development, and ultimately a higher social premium on breastfeeding and
mother's milk in general. I wish them well.
I have no financial  interest in this company

Dear Friends:
    The way of donor milk banking for the past  decades has not encouraged
breastfeeding or human milk for all babies  nationwide, despite the  efforts of
HMBANA and others. Donor milk banking  hasn't really recovered from the blow
dealt by the onset of HIV/AIDS.
    I also feel encouraged about such a company as  PROLACTA, that is trying
a different approach to meet the goals we all have,  which is for babies to
receive human milk.
    Profit is valued more than health or ecology in the  US; if profit has to
be part of more babies getting human milk, so be it. I hope  that a  side
effect will be to  public and professional knowledge; as  what we are doing now
is not.
    The Birth Center where I work has been approached  by PROLACTA. There is
a HMBANA milk bank about 60 miles away. PROLACTA is making  it easy for donors
to give milk; the milk bank is a schlepp and requires donors  to be more
proactive. All these things matter in today's world.
    warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE
Maternal-Child Adjunct  Faculty Union Institute and University
Film Reviews Editor, Journal of Human  Lactation
www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com